Keeping Seniors Safe on the Road
One of the most important services we provide to our senior clients is transportation. Whether it’s a trip to the grocery store, farmers market or a doctor’s appointment, Daughter for Hire caregivers help seniors get where they need to go safely and helps ensure safety for others on the road.
Given that 18% of all traffic fatalities are people who are 65 years of age or older, it is important to learn about senior safety on the road.
Changes Influencing Seniors on the Road
Given how experienced most seniors are as drivers, it can be hard for them to accept there are safety concerns about their driving. It’s important for them to know this isn’t because they are “bad drivers.” Age-related changes that affect driving for seniors include:
- Limited vision or hearing
- Decreased reaction time, judgment, or attention due to health conditions
- Weakness when operating a steering wheel, brakes, etc.
- Memory loss that leads to getting lost or confused
- Medications that impair judgment and reaction times
- Night-time driving exacerbates the effects of these changes on senior safety as well.
Increasing Driver Safety for Seniors
Encourage seniors to increase their safety on the road with these tips:
- Stay active to maintain flexibility and strength
- Make sure brakes, steering wheel, and seats function smoothly
- Drive at times of day with good visibility
- Keep up to date on vision and hearing checks
- Use adaptors like extra mirrors
Ultimately, the time may come when your senior family member may have to give up the keys and let someone else do the driving for them. When you can’t be there to drive them, you can count on Daughter for Hire to get your senior family member where they’re going while providing a continued sense of mobility and independence.
Stay up to date with our latest news
At Daughter for Hire, we're focused on our day to day relationships with our caregivers, clients and families. Communication is the focal point that makes everything run smoothly and provide peace of mind to our clients and their families. Our Daughter for Hire blog will share with you helpful tips, some of the latest news updates, and information on topics that are most important to you.
Please let us know what you think of the post, and we’d love to hear if there is a topic you’d like to see.
Let Us Know